There are 26 posts in this blog, please visit them all.
<<<< See side bar for more
A Pictorial View of the Comox Valley
City of Courtenay - Heritage Homes
Heritage Homes of Courtenay, BC
The following are some of the Heritage Homes
and building's in the
Old Orchard and downtown area of Courtenay
The earlier houses are on the west side of Cliff Avenue.
The Old Orchard has maintained the best of both worlds, with its close proximity to downtown and its historic character.
See also - The City of Courtenay blog for more Heritage Building's
Billy Booth House, 307 1st Street
Built in 1912, the Billy Booth House was one of the original homes in the new “Orchard Subdivision”, named by the German developers who had purchased the 10-acre orchard from Joseph McPhee. Thomas Booth developed a thriving “T. Booth & Sons” Hardware, Grocery and Dry Goods Store in the former McPhee and Morrison building.One of the sons, William (Billy) Booth “took colors”, serving in the Royal Flying Corps during the Great War of 1914-18. When he married Ivy Barnes of Nanaimo in 1920, he brought his bride to this beautiful home.They had no children, but Ivy doted on her garden. Billy, who served on City Council, was a founding member of both the Native Sons Lodge and the Rotary Club. The home stayed in the family until 1978
243 2nd Street
At the corner of Cliffe Avenue and 2nd Street you will be able
to look up the street and see the Bowden House in the middle
of the block. On the right hand side of the street is one of the
original Old Orchard area homes at 243 2nd Street. This lovely
house was built in 1911 and has been occupied by a number of
families, including Norman Boden, the editor of the Courtenay
Review newspaper, and G.W. (Bill) and Isabelle Stubbs—well
known for their contributions to the community.
The Creech House, 443 Fourth St. Courtenay, BC
A two story Victorian- influenced residential building situated on its original lot.
Constructed ca 1890 and built by Mr. Fletcher was purchased by Edward and Eliza Creech in ca 1910. The Creech House received Heritage Commemoration from the City of Courtenay in 1998.
Highway Engineer House
257 1st Street
This home was built in 1912 as a residence for the appointed Provincial
District Engineer of Highways. Later on, it was the first home
in Courtenay to have the luxury of storm windows.
Situated on its original lot, Sandwick Manor has historic and aesthetic value. Eric Duncan (1858-1944) constructed this house for his wife Ann in 1910-1911 making it the oldest residential structure west of the Courtenay River. A farmer, store owner and post master Eric Duncan was most renowned for this poetry and writings and whose recollections and memoirs helped to tell the story of Courtenay's early history.....character..........Courtenay_heritage_register2009.pdf
1760 Riverside LaneConstructed in 1938 as a residence for the Kirk Family. The historic value of the Old House Restaurant lies in its association with the Kirk Family, the original occupants of the building and prominent members of the community. Geoff Kirk operated a highly successful oil business from the dock of his riverfront property, while Kath Kirk initiated the ‘Mile of Flowers’ campaign in 1969, now a renowned annual event in Courtenay, which draws over a thousand volunteers to plant flowers along the mile-long Cliffe Avenue corridor.
Piercy’s Mt. Washington Funeral Home
440 England Avenue
The Piercy family arrived in the Comox Valley from New Brunswick in the late 1800s. They settled on farms on Denman Island and
throughout the Valley. Harvey Piercy, the first non-native boy to be born on Denman Island, learned to make caskets as a young man
under the tutelage of an English carpenter on the island. Harvey and his son, Archie Piercy, dug out the basement for the
funeral home themselves and made improvements to the rest of the building as income permitted. Originally built in 1941, it was
expanded and renovated in the 1990s but it outwardly maintains its 1940s appearance.
Former Sutton's Funeral Home
According to the Land of Plenty , the Sutton family
arrived in the Comox Valley from Duncan on February 22, 1912.
Mr. Sutton was a carpenter and ‘Jack-of-all-trades.’ It was
he who placed the windows in McPhee and Morrison’s first Courtenay store.
Charlie Sutton was very active in local affairs, and
was a moving force in obtaining better school facilities
for the town. Sutton also looked after the new water
system. The first Board of Trade kept him busy.
In 1913, Courtenay Undertaking Parlours (later Sutton’s
Funeral Home) came into existence (relocating to the
Cliffe Avenue location in 1939). It remained a Courtenay
institution under Charlie Sutton until it was sold to Mr.
Reid, who sold it to the Piercy family in 1973. caption
115 Douglas Place
This house was built in 1912 by the Sackville brothers. Barbara Marriot,
descendant of one of the original pioneer families, the Duncans,
lived here for approximately 30 years. Her great uncle arrived with
the first settlers in the fall of 1862. The writings of her uncle, Eric
Duncan have provided a vivid picture of life in the Valley from its
208 5th Street
In 1922 the Booths erected the Laver Block on 5th and Cliff and dealt exclusively in groceries. Ultimately Mr. R. G. Laver leased on half of the building and then bought it outright in 1927.
Info from the book "Land of Plenty"